The best diet ever! Or maybe not.
If you are connected with me on Facebook you already know that I got struck down by a bad cold 10 days ago. Caught it from my husband and boy, was it bad. I haven’t been this sick in years.
I did not initially go to the doctor because my husband is a respiratory therapist and he checked me with his stethoscope and kept a close watch. But then I lost my sense of smell and taste for 24 hours and that finally made me get medical attention! It also made me realize that this was the perfect weight loss method:
If you can’t taste anything you completely lose interest in food.
I totally did. Which is the best diet ever, right? Until I started freaking out. I had no idea when and if my senses would come back and I suddenly felt all weird because my main comfort - food - was no longer there for me. I felt naked, exposed and scared. To some this may seem like an extreme reaction but it really made me stop and think: what would I do if I could never taste food again?
In the end I did not have to worry about this for too long as my senses eventually came back and oh boy, what a relief that was!
The doctor, incidentally, was not that worried about the loss of my senses, he cared more about my subacute bronchitis and the wheeziness. I told him that I hate taking medication and prefer more natural remedies. He promptly loaded me up with prescriptions for antibiotics, codeine and an inhaler! Really?? He was not my regular physician who is a lot more relaxed and knows how I feel about these things. When I saw this guy I was already feeling a lot better than I had been and he still prescribed all that stuff. I told him that I would probably not take it and he said that’s ok, just fill the prescription then you have it in case you need it.
I am the first to admit, I am not a good patient. Illness makes me super anxious and this was no exception. It helped a lot that I have a wonderful husband who took very good care of me even though he was still recovering from his own flu. I did get my meds from the pharmacy but haven’t taken them, instead I went to our local natural food store and stocked up on herbal remedies and fruit and vegetables. I do not deny the need and effectiveness of medication but in this instance I felt very strongly that I wanted to give my body a chance to heal itself so I came up with this plan of sorts:
- Start the day with five sun salutations, gentle stretching and seven minutes of deep breathing/meditation. I have always been a shallow breather (side effect of my anxieties) so the latter does not come natural to me but I can already tell the difference this is making.
- I am taking a herbal expectorant to loosen the mucus and help with the coughing. Once I am done with that I am moving on to a bronchial wellness syrup.
- I started oil pulling in the mornings. Not that pleasant but you get used to it.
- I am using a saline nasal wash two times a day. Never done this before, works amazingly well and is easier than I thought it would be.
- Echinacea drops and black elderberry syrup to rebuild my immune system.
- Green smoothies with spirulina in the mornings.
- Start cooking again = more vegetables, less junk.
Today is day 11 since I got sick and while I am still sniffly and a little wheezy I am definitely beginning to feel a difference in my chest and also my energy levels. Which is a good thing as I missed a whole week of work and have a lot to catch up on.
Wishing you all a good start to a lovely week!
Subscribe to get blog posts straight into your inbox!